Saturday, May 11, 2013

On the things we don't say.

There are things, thoughts that run through our head that we don't talk about. I know it's hard to believe in this day and age, but I can think of plenty of things that have run through my head that I would very likely talk about with absolutely no one.

And the reasons are myriad. Sometimes the topics are gross or very privately sexual. Sometimes it's just a feeling that might be embarrassing to admit. Of course, there's a place and time for everything, but is that really true?

And at what cost do we hold our tongues? How many marriages fall apart because of an unspoken kink that goes unfulfilled? How many people live in ignorance of a broken heart or silent terror? I would trade every talk I've had with my parents about puberty and sex for one 15-second warning about sharting.

Obviously, this has been something that's been happening since the dawn of civilization, but it's still something that lingers on the mind every time I see someone. Because everyone, everyone has a secret that they'll take to the grave. And I wonder how much of our history is lost to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment