Thursday, November 7, 2013

Paris, Day 3.

There is a difference between rolling a city beneath your tires and feeling it beneath your feet.

There's something you miss when you just hop from location to location, something absent in the sense of the whole. When you walk the streets of a city, there is a power in them, a sense of all the shoes that came before you, walking, running, stopping dead in their tracks.

It's how I feel connected to a place. I need to walk the pathways, absorb the city slowly, let it creep through my skin and fill my blood with its pace. I need to run my fingers along the buildings, trace the toe of my boots along the cracks of the sidewalks.

Cities are my church. They make me feel small and quiet, a part of something so much bigger than myself. They remind me that every breath I draw is one of millions drawn at the same time. They give me peace, knowing that I, like so many before me, belong there.

And this, this is what gives me strength.

1 comment: