Wednesday, September 4, 2013

On living on the fly.

So as we speak, I'm roasting off an eggplant. See, I'd gotten it last week as part of my box, and I didn't have too much of a plan for it. So I rooted around in my spice cabinet, found some cardamom and cloves and paprika, rounded up some ground beef and decided I'd put a Mediterranean spin on some chili.

And I won't be eating it alone, since I decided as I rolled into work that I hadn't seen my buddy Elliot in a while, and if Jon was going to be coming over to wrangle some online stuff anyway, I might as well turn it into a gathering. A couple of misfit coworkers later, and I had a chili and beer night going by the time I got off work.

And I wonder what it would be like if I had to get up to catch the 8:15 into the city tomorrow, if I knew full well I had two more days of work before the weekend. If, in order to have a night like this, I'd have to make plans a week ahead of time, calling friends, making sure they were available, planning for a Saturday to make sure everyone was well-rested after their office lives.

What would I be like if I planned my work outfits ahead? If I had to worry about the 10am meeting with Marketing? If I had my dinners mapped out on my calendar, ingredients carefully sectioned off in my fridge?

Would I be roasting off an eggplant at 6:45, sipping a beer on my porch, unaware of what the night ahead held for me?

Would I be this happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment