Thursday, March 7, 2013

On the origins of my handle.

It's always one of those things you think about, but never get around to asking when you meet someone new on the internet.  Admittedly, sometimes someone's handle is an easy derivation to surmise.  It's a turn of phrase, or an adjectival morph of their name.  Sometimes it's just a good phrase, or it's as simple as their name.

But sometimes you'll catch a moniker that just doesn't make sense.  And since I've been driving around today and I don't feel like thinking of anything more interesting to blog about, here's the story behind mine.

I was a small kid with a giant head in grade school.  Seriously, I looked like a root beer Blow Pop.  And for some reason my wardrobe (i.e. the clothes that my older brothers wore that survived) tended to be blue.  So I earned the nickname Smurf growing up as I got pushed around the playground.

In a game so old I can't even begin to remember the name of it, there was a plot sword named Warmonger.  I remember it because it was one of the first sentient weapons I'd ever heard of - when you first acquired it, it was all rusty and shitty, but the more you used it, the better it got as it drank the blood of your foes.  Eventually it turned into this badassed two-hander with a black blade.

The first time these two words met was in Laser Tag in 6th grade.  And I haven't been able to shake the nickname since.

So what about you?  Where'd you find your handle?

No comments:

Post a Comment