Saturday, March 30, 2013

On playing in the dirt.

I am tired.

Not as tired as I should be.  Not as tired as I want to be.

The cafe I work at has a little farm nearby.  I got up there to work it there with the woman who's running it, the erstwhile manager of one of the cafe's locations, and I brought with me my friend who's working on moving her career from IT to starting a non-profit community garden program.

I wish I had more time to help.  You could tell in an instant that both of these wonderful people were excited and relaxed, that sort of calm you get when you're doing work you actually, genuinely enjoy.  It's infectious.  I mean, I was already happy to be there - it was beautiful outside, and if you give me a pattern to replicate and something physical to do, I'm a happy fellow.  But stack on top of that the fact that we're making food by growing it in the fucking ground, and, well.

I'm actually pretty stoked to garden this year, even though I know it'll be a pain in the grundle now and again.  And the more I see it in action, the more I hear about her ideas, the more awesome my friend's crazy plan sounds.

So maybe I'm done cooling my heels and treading water.  Maybe I have a direction again.  It'd be nice.

Hope I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment