Monday, May 13, 2013

On arugula and choice.

I know, I'm beating a dead horse about this growing shit business, but I just went out back, trimmed off a row of arugula, and crammed it into a baguette with various other sandwichy things. And it was fucking delicious.

How much do we pay for convenience? This was probably around $2 worth of arugula I just pulled up from the ground, washed, and ate. On top of the gas I'd use getting to the store and the time spent shopping for it. The cost to me was the price of the seeds (generously donated by my compatriot) and a few weeks of watering. And I've got LOTS more where that came from.

How much do we spend because we need to have something specific right that instant? Do we even think about the cost of these things versus the time investment spent in growing our own food? There's even middle grounds in the forms of CSA programs this time of year - I subscribe to a produce delivery program that fills my organic vegetable requirement for $25 every two weeks. How does that compare to what I'd spend if I picked and chose everything I ate rather than rolling with what I get in the box?

I eat well for the amount of money I spend because of my willingness to work with variables, something I've taken to heart ever since Pavel spoke to me of the value in a varied diet. I'm starting to wonder why more people don't do the same.

3 comments:

  1. I read this the other day and want to try all of them: http://earth911.com/home-garden/grow-food-from-scraps/

    Especially the pineapple one.

    ReplyDelete