Wednesday, May 8, 2013

On random facts about me.

So while stumbling around aimlessly on the interwebs this morning, I came across this post from the lovely Eleni. She has a point; on the internet, through texts and posts and even tweets and status updates, the finer points of a person, the little details that make someone really and truly themselves, often get lost in the grandiloquent bloggery or the stream of cat pictures.

And it got me thinking about my own little foibles, how a lot of my habits will never see the light of day until I sucker some poor, unfortunate creature into living with me again. And of course, I'm going to share them with you.

- If I start watching something, be it an episode of TV or a movie, it is extremely difficult for me to stop partway through, even if I've seen it a million times before. As a result, I don't watch a lot of movies because I'm constantly afraid of the time commitment.

- If I'm watching something for the first time and I'm alone, I will almost constantly stop and rewind to catch things I missed. I say when I'm alone because out of courtesy, I'll try to wrestle this compulsion under control when I'm with other people to keep them from stabbing me. Poor Lisa had to deal with this on my first watchthrough of Doctor Who.

- I do the same thing while reading, doubling back and rereading passages to soak up the details as best I can.

- If I am eating something while watching TV on Netflix and the episode finishes before I am done eating, I have to start the next episode and watch it all the way through.

- I like hardwood floors because they tell my feet when they're dirty. If I lived somewhere with wall-to-wall, the floors would likely be fucking revolting.

- When I get a song stuck in my head, it's there for weeks, sometimes months. This means I'm listening to it every chance I get, singing it to myself at work, and envisioning various movie scenes set to it while daydreaming. This fixation periodically extends to other things, like eating fried chicken for six meals in a row.

- Quantities in prime numbers after 7 make me uncomfortable, despite the fact that my lucky number is 17. I like things to be easily divisible.

- I sleep on the left side of the bed, with my head covered and my feet out from under the blankets. I will use the same comforter until it falls apart; I've had my current one for almost a decade. The smell comforts me.

- Rare is the instance where I will empty the dishwasher before it's time to do dishes again.

- Unless I'm watching TV, playing video games, or doing any sort of creative writing, I rarely sit in my home. Even now, my laptop is sitting on my printer on my wine cabinet, and I'm typing this standing up.

- I am fascinated by mechanics. Sometimes I will watch my cats as they meander around the house, studying their muscle groups in sequence as they walk. This fascination extends to projectile physics, which is why I play a lot of trashcan basketball and flip things in my hands.

- I can't listen to music with lyrics while I write; I start seeing the lyrics in my head and it prevents me from composing sentences of my own words and patterns. I can't listen to music while I read, either, for the same reason.

- I practice having conversations. I study the habits and speech patterns of the people in my life, extrapolate likely subject material, home in on specific things they will probably say, and rehearse witty responses to them, complete with hand gestures and facial expressions.

Well, that's all I feel like coming up with for now. See y'all around; I'm going to go get ready for work. Keeping my fingers crossed for a quiet day - Lordy, do I love me some thunderstorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment