Tuesday, June 4, 2013

On a lack of passion.

There was a time in my life when I felt like fire. I needed to get out and consume, to devour everything in my path and leave ashes in my wake. I wanted to have all of the fun, meet all of the people, do all of the things. And I did have fun (from what I remember). I met some incredible people. I've forgotten more stories than some will ever acquire. I also inflicted a fair amount of collateral damage, both physical and emotional, to the people and places in my life.

But it's quiet now. I can't really put a finger on what broke me. Maybe it was my dad, maybe it was trying to run a business long before I was ready. Maybe it was the failed marriage, or the substance problem I've cultivated in recent years. Maybe it's just age. But whatever it is, I don't have that spark I remember having. I've lost the desire to put myself out there because I know how exhausting it is. Even new things I learn are just systems I already know in different contexts and combinations.

Now, I don't want you guys to think this is some kind of cry for help. I'm actually quite content, if a little bored. My life is easy and pleasant. The few times I do get out of the house, I relish greatly. Things that used to outrage me, that would blind me with fury, now just induce a calm sadness or mild irritation.

But is this the way it's supposed to be? Am I just this now? Will there be no more bursts of furious, crazy passion? This is what makes me uneasy; the question of whether or not this quiet life is what is to span the rest of my days. And if it is not, what must I do to recapture it? Will I remember what it's like?

3 comments:

  1. i feel very, very similarly, and my vote always goes towards age and experience. for me, i get bursts of the old time, little sparkles that fizzle out. this is worthy of a much much longer conversation - ROAD TRIP FODDER?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I... feel like this every day. Every once in awhile, something reminds me of the burn, of the crazy, of the passion. Most of the time, I'm content without it - happy, even. But when every once in awhile comes around, I remember. I miss it. And I wonder if it's ever coming back.

    And then I remember to wonder whether I really want it to.

    ReplyDelete