Saturday, June 15, 2013

On a quick life update.

I'm not gonna lie to you, I ain't doing so hot.

Working closers means I'm too washed out to cook for myself on the regular, which means I haven't gotten anything green in me for about a week. And thin on staff means I'm doing six or seven day runs at a go, which my old bones haven't been too happy about.

I can feel myself slipping. I'm forgetting things on the way out, my cheerful mien gets shaky when things don't fall into place like I want them to. I remember the hipster couple talking down to be because I work behind a counter rather than the scores of happy, smiling faces thanking me for my work.

And it's easy, so easy to slip. All it takes is a shift in your tone, a change in your facial expression, and you can make someone uncomfortable, unwelcome. You can make them feel bad for asking you for the simplest of specifications.

It annoys me that we're looked down upon, treated like the chaff of the world because we pour coffee and plate bagels. It's easy to forget that we can color a person's day with a facial expression, give them a jumpstart with a well-timed joke or ruin their mood with a slam of the register.

I'm letting the topic get away from me. It's something I've been mulling over for some time now, and something I'll get into writing sooner than later.

Until then. Head down. Power through.

2 comments: