Sunday, June 23, 2013

On this weekend.

There is a satisfaction, for me at least, with the conclusion of a journey well-executed. This weekend was one of long drives and friendships, whether they were strengthened through time spent talking, acquired through alcohol and laughter, or simply basked in in the sharing of one hell of a party.

And all of this is in no way diminished by the tranquil enjoyment of where I am as I write this - sprawled out on my couch in the semi-silence of my home, cats nuzzling at my arms, my phone buzzing with texts as I flip through my tabs to catch up on Facebook and Twitter.

Happiness, I believe, is a careful balance of wants and haves. Too many haves and one becomes complacent, then bored. Too many wants and one becomes dissatisfied and angry, or worse, despondent and hopeless.

Today, I am happy. I have people in my life again, good people, funny people. I want a pizza and a good night's sleep.

I think this is a pretty good balance for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment