Thursday, January 10, 2013

On futures.

I know, I know.  That's a pretty vague title to work with.  But bear with me.

The next week or two is going to see me make some very serious decisions.  The determination of where a new interpersonal relationship is going, a choice between two jobs that could very well determine which direction I'm taking my career.  These decisions are going to impact my lifestyle to the core - the hours I sleep, the money I budget.

And if I look far enough into the future, the decisions I make in the next two weeks might have life-altering consequences in the coming years.  They could change my timeline on opening my own place, or cancel it out entirely in pursuit of another branch of the food world.  They could determine where I live.  And these things are all terrifying; the thought that the entire direction of my life comes down to a couple of decisions made in a few short days.

And then I ask myself, how is this any different from any of the other heavy decisions I've made?  What's so great about my life now that I should be frightened of moving in any direction?

So to hell with it.  I'm going to let the next couple of weeks happen.  I'm not going to think too much about things; I'm going to do what feels right.  And I'm going to forge ahead into this year and all the years after.  Because you can't go back, and there's no point in standing still.

Yes, the future is fucking terrifying.  But you know what?  It always will be.  So suck it up and get moving.  There's shit to get done.  Your future isn't going to get here on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment