Thursday, January 31, 2013

On this blog, take 2.

It feels like just yesterday I kicked off 2013 with an oath to write more, to use this blog to post once a day for the entire year (thanks, Kitty, for starting up #BED2013).  Okay, I'm lying.  Feels like way more than just yesterday.  This shit is exhausting.  But that's beside the point.

I was talking to my good friends and neighbors last night about this blog.  There is a paradox, it seems, between the title, my assertion that this platform is for me and my thoughts and postulations and posturing, and the push for you, my dear readers, to read what I'm spouting.  There's a confusion as to what the purpose of this exercise really is, if I say all I'm doing here is writing and I'm still cramming it down your throats.

The URL and title of the blog come from a particularly awesome episode of The Venture Brothers, a cartoon series featured on Adult Swim (for the clip of the Grand Galactic Inquisitor, see here).  At first I just thought it was friggin' funny, because that show is the tits.  But after some consideration, I realized just how apt the idea of something so obviously there screaming "IGNORE ME!" really was.

Because apparently, I obviously don't really want you to ignore me if I'm posting blogs to the Bookface and the Twitters.  I'm writing for me, yes, but writing is meant to be read.  Ideas in a vacuum don't change or grow.  So get in there if the mood strikes you.  If you agree with me, that's great.  If you don't, tell me why.  If you don't feel like reading, or you read and just shrug and walk away, cool.  If you want to open a dialogue, go for it.

And as I blather on about this or that, remember this: I really am just blathering.  Some of you are friends as old as time.  Some of you I just met through the magic of BiSC and the Twitterverse.  But new or old, I can't emphasize this enough: I don't claim to know any more or less than the rest of you jagweeds out there.  I'm just a guy with a bunch of funny/shitty/interesting experiences under his belt and too much time on his hands.

Cheers, guys.  One month down, eleven to go.

...

IGNORE ME

4 comments: