Sunday, April 14, 2013

On resisting change.

How do you refuse a promotion?

I've been training up on my barista skills (really, the entire menu is permutations on two ingredients with various garnishes; it's relatively brainless), mostly against my will. Don't get me wrong, I like learning new things. But the whole reason I got into this job is to take a break from responsibility.

If I did want to expand my skills here, it'd be towards the back of the house. My knife hand's getting twitchy; I haven't done prep in long enough to worry that I'm getting rusty. But I've spent enough time taking rapid-fire drink orders to know I don't really want to be in that position again.

Ah, well. I suppose I'll talk to my manager tomorrow, see what the score is. As it is, I'm going to need to dial down my hours to accommodate this upcoming new project, especially if I want to keep my writing schedule on board.

Thank the stars I don't have a social life, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment