Monday, April 29, 2013

On the service industry regimen.

I wouldn't say I'm fit.

Still, considering how much I eat and how little I work out in the traditional sense, there's seriously no reason I should have the body I have. Not that it's a particularly good specimen, mind you, but I should be much heavier and significantly weaker than I actually am.

And I imagine a good chunk of that is good genes; if my brothers are any indication, we come from fairly good stock. But I believe the fact that I've been in the service industry pretty much my entire adult life plays a fairly major role in this, too. I've worked primarily jobs where I sit from 0-5% of the time that I'm on shift. Instead of the treadmill, I'm moving almost constantly from one place to another. I don't lift weights, but I pick shit up and move it, using my entire body, every single day. Nowadays it's sacks of flour and boxes of coffee; I miss the days when it was cases of pork and brisket, or a dozen half-kegs of beer and thirty cases of bottles.

Isn't this how people got fit in the days before gyms? Didn't people just do physical labor and naturally burned calories and built muscle and developed a natural consciousness of their bodies? We, as a whole, seem to have gotten away from that. I can't help but look at the rising gym memberships like when we stopped filtering our tap water and started marketing bottles.

We are the service industry. The floor, the kitchen is our gym. Forgetting to eat on shift is our diet. We know what it means to really wash our hands, and we are genuinely tired at the end of our days.

Those of y'all who own a Bowflex can suck it.

1 comment:

  1. "Oh my God, you must lift weights. How do you work out your arms?"

    "I pick things up and drop them down. "

    ReplyDelete