Friday, April 12, 2013

On the things I've learned from video games, part 1.

I've been told that I look at life like a video game. And while that assumption is largely true, it seems to carry a connotation with it, an idea that I don't take life seriously. Really? Tell me, what is the primary objective of almost every single video game out there?

Don't fucking die.

What's more serious than that? And add to that the next most important objective, which is win at the end, and does looking at life like a game start seeming a little more reasonable?

Me, I've picked up a couple of tricks from spending so much time in front of a console, and I'll be unloading them bit by bit as I think of them. So cheers, guys. Here's to video games.

Level up your skills.
Any time you spend doing something, you are either learning something new or learning how to do something better. Use your time building up your skillset; you'd be surprised how easy some things are if you just give them a whirl. Cook something. Build a bookshelf. Practice bouncing quarters off of tabletops.

Learn when and where to farm.
The world operates on a barter system. In order to acquire things, you need something to trade for them. You start with time, spend it working on your skills. You have skills, trade them for money. And lo and behold, you have a job. And like any kind of farming, it's on you to polish your skills, find the places that will maximize your return on them, and mine them until you have the level of resources you need to accomplish your objectives.

Focus on the minigames.
I don't care if you're rescuing a baby from a burning building or just driving to the grocery store, sometimes you have to put the rest of the game on the back burner and concentrate on the task at hand. Recognize when these situations arise and give them your full attention. You can get back to pondering the meaning of existence after you're done not killing anyone with your car.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go shoot guys in the face with my compatriot down the street. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment