Wednesday, April 17, 2013

On upcoming projects.

I've got a couple of things on my plate these days, but I can't help but appreciate the little breaks I catch to step back and recharge. Seems I need them more and more often these days; I can't imagine what life would be like if I couldn't take a day or two here and there to fuck around in the kitchen.

I get ideas, and like most people, I get itchy until I get the chance to implement them.  Right now, here's what I'm planning on messing around with:

1) Roasted potatoes in a stainless steel bowl.  As long as you have a big enough bowl, I should be able to just toss the potatoes with oil and seasonings, then prop them up on the sides and drop them in the oven rather than dumping them out on a sheet tray.  That way, instead of fucking around with a spatula trying to turn them, I can just pull the bowl, toss 'em, and put them back in for even browning.  Of course, I'll have to test the idea to see if there are any detrimental effects to them being at different heights, but if it works, it'll free up valuable horizontal real estate at the cost of vertical. Something that might come in handy during the holidays.

2) Zucchini fritters. I made a batch last week (two weeks ago?), and they were good, but pillowy and doughish rather than crisp and crusty. Plus the squash flavor got a little lost. I'm going to play it again using only egg white and mixing in some cornstarch with the flour, see if I can't let the zucchini itself shine through while still getting that crunch I'm after.

3) Swiss chard. I've been sauteeing it with pork products lately, and while that's delicious, it's time to play with something new. Late harvest stock is coming in, which means the leaves are less like spinach and more like young collards. Time to play with new preparations; I've been postulating that driving out the moisture might lead to drier results and applications - possibly a baked pasta, or a spring panzanella with asparagus. Shitballs, do I love panzanella.

It's springtime, folks. The winter slumber is over; it's time to get out there and start delving back into the things that make you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment